Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Carne Asada = Good times

Monday morning and we’re getting ready, I think, to go to our new ministry site at the First Evangelical Free Church. I’m excited, we’re going to be working with kids (again); however this church has a really solid ministry going in the Pico Union neighborhood. It’s a challenging neighborhood but the church seems to fit right into the community there. We attended a celebration service there on Sunday. They combined the English and Spanish speaking congregations for a united meeting because they had an amazing financial breakthrough earlier in the week. The service was nice, but long because they were translating everything. The benefits of a church celebration usually include good food, which we partook of next door in the pastor’s backyard: Delicious carne asada, frijoles mexicanos, rice and watermelon…good stuff. After a satisfying hour we drove back to the project house. The day went downhill from that point. Josiah was getting on my nerves, exponentially more than previously…I needed to get away from him but couldn’t because most of the guys were gone to the team captains meeting. I asked Mike to go to Ralph’s with me and Josiah kindly invited himself along. Jen came to though…I was thinking extremely negatively at this point, never a good thing. I survived the trip without blowing up at him. Dinner was a highly, the girls, mostly Lindsey (a pretty cool girl now that I have gotten to know her), made an amazing dinner out of mostly leftovers. The captains returned and J-town went to Starbucks (I need to vindicate myself against claims of hypocrisy here by stating that the Salvation Army gave us ten dollar gift cards there…and I don’t mind free stuff, since they’ve gotten the money already anyway) for a “short” meeting that turned into a really good hour long meeting where we got to talk about many issues and prayed for them as well.

1 comment:

MW Rice said...

Preface--i posted this on my blog under comments but wasn't sure if you'd check back, so I'll post it here too...

Jordan,
Hey man, no problem on the song. In an ill-fated moment of ennui turned inspiration, we called project friends and did our best to give them a huge headache via voicemail. I'm going to set aside a good hour to read your blog tonight... I'm really excited to not have to see your "linguistic profile" anymore, not that it wasn't sweet. Alright man, do great things :)
Michael