Monday, July 18, 2005

Day 3: Intercultural Oneness and Stuff

6/18/05

Sunday was “intercultural oneness day on the project. The entire group attended a predominantly African American Church in Carson (near Long Beach). This was my first experience in that type of gathering. I had my share of pre-conceived notions concerning African-American churches. We were told by a couple of the staff to disperse ourselves around the building so Mike and I sat away from most of the group, who happened to end up all in the same area. We were warmly greeted…any ideas I had that we would be looked upon as outsiders (being a mostly white group, with a couple blacks and a few Asians) vanished as I entered.
It was fathers’ day, so a couple of ladies in the entrance were pinning roses on the jackets of all the fathers (the standard of dress was definitely nice, I felt underdressed in just a blue shirt, tie and slacks. All of the guys in our group got roses as well despite our lack of fatherhood; however, it served as a reminder to call my dad later in the day (which I did). The service began with singing, gospel style of course. The music was very soulful and the congregation was engaged in a very spiritual way. I particularly appreciated the drummer’s style and his creative fills.
The service was long, the sermon even longer. The pastor preached with authority and everyone was attentive. A large part of his sermon focused on physical wellness, a reflection of the social responsibility felt within the church.
Lunch at Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles in Long Beach included what you would expect, which is, what most people would not expect. Chicken and waffles on the same plate. Though I’m not a traditionalist, at least going by the traditional definition, I opted for just the chicken, in burger form. It was good stuff and since the project was paying I didn’t mind the price, whatever it was.
We loaded into the vans and drove back up the 110 to the house. A two hour long discussion on the events of the day, the previous night’s movie, and race relations in general ensued shortly after our arrival. It was an interesting discussion, probably the most involved that I have been in one, but it ended rather harmoniously despite the controversial nature of the subjects discussed in our relatively diverse group.

No comments: