Tuesday, December 14, 2004

God, Anthropology, and the Barton Creek Greenbelt

(I posted this on my old site last Friday)

I’ve never had a day quite like Thursday. It is not that common for me to experience an 8 AM Physical Anthropology final, running down a strenuous path in the Barton Creek Greenbelt, driving around listening to nothing but the Shins for a couple of hours, buying gas for the unbelievable price of $1.65 per gallon, grabbing food with a good friend back in San Marcos that evening, and playing ultimate Frisbee for a few hours with my best friends. Often my days will have some combination of a few of those, but Thursday had them all. Most importantly, while out on the greenbelt, I had a real encounter with God…real communication, real establishment of a further relationship with the God of the Universe that I so often have ignored this semester. I prayed…for peace, the peace that has been lacking in my life, the peace that only God can provide, and God answered. Not only that, but He threw in some amazing joy as well, joy and pure thankfulness for my incredibly awesome life that I have not shown in months.

Yesterday was not only a great day, but it was a breakthrough, it was a real turning point in my spiritual life. After spending time in the Greenbelt, and…God forbid, running, for once, I climbed up the trail to the top where I had parked. The trees parted and I saw a very beautiful cityscape of South Austin, where I live, spread before me. It was then that I made the connection that this is my home…I live there, that thought just stunned me. I’m so blessed to live there…my mind moved on to the other incredible blessings in my life…I’m so blessed to have the most incredible friends that I could ever dream of…I live in an incredible apartment with great roommates…I have more than I could ask for, more than I deserve.

I am so grateful to God for bringing me though a troublesome and difficult stretch of my life only to show me how incredible his mercy and grace has been to me. There is nothing quite like realizing how truly blessed I am. I had many good conversations yesterday and I am going to try to summarize them in upcoming entries because they center on some very crucial things that God is teaching me right now. My friend Jason would always ask me “What has God been teaching you?” My answer today is…a lot…more than I can just think about in a few short minutes or fit into a few short (or in my case, long) paragraphs.- Jordan

No comments: