Sunday, January 30, 2005

Clouds

Overcast/prolonged rainy weather is rare in Central Texas, and for that I am thankful. On the occastion that it is rainy and cloudy for a prolonged period of time, like today, I always tend to feel a little down, mainly because I love sunny weather and am not generally used to other forms of weather.

I've learned however that it is not a good thing to allow my emotions to be directed by something as simple as a weather pattern. I am sure there are logical reasons for the fact that it is easier for me to be in a cheerful mood, and more focused on God, when the weather is great (sunny)...but am I so weak that I cannot overcome this simple emotional barrier?

Of course not, but sometimes I give into the lie that I am. I often buy into the lie that my emotions and, more importiantly, my personality, and more importiant than that, my spiritual condition, are subject to my environment and situation. Whenever I subscribe to that notion it becomes a self-defeating prophecy. I cannot overcome any given situation if I declare defeat in advance. So this weekend, in the midst of some purely nasty weather, I am learning to break out of the easy yet destructive pattern of tying my personal condition in many areas of life to my situation, using it as an excuse to be apathetic and unmotivated. This is a battle, but it is one that I am finally willing to take on.

- Jordan

No comments: