Monday, January 24, 2005

They've Got It AIl Wrong

Yesterday I was watching the NFC Championship game (which was unfortunetly won by the Philadelphia Eagles...a.k.a. the spawn of Satan), and a commercial came on featureing Peyton Manning and another player (who's identity I've temporarly forgotten) talking about the NFL's Tsunami aid fund.

The commerical featured Manning, speaking of the tragedy in a somber tone interspersed with pictures and video from the disaster area. This got me thinking, Americans today, in fact almost any generation of Americans that is currently alive tend to be very self centered. It takes something like September 11 or the Tsunami to get people to think beyond their own little social circles and communities. In light of this I thought that perhaps playing the angle of the destitute state that millions of people halfway around the world are in might not be the most effective way of conveying the scope of the tragedy. Perhaps our entertianment and sports obsessed culture would better understand the need if it were placed in terms that we as Americans can relate to. Thus, if the 30 second PSA were rewritten, the NFL might see more success. This is how I would have written it, in light of the topics I just discussed.

---

(Manning on screen, begin PSA)

Recently, a desvestating tsunami wave crashed into Southeast Asia and East Africa, taking hundreds of thousands of lives and leaving millions homeless. Your help is needed to help them recover from the destruction.

This tsunami is a lot like the tidal wave of touchdown passes that I torched opposing teams with in route to breaking the all time single season touchdown record.

(video of some of Manning's more spectacular touchdowns)

(over video)The looks of hopelessness on the faces of the wave's victims is exactly like the look I saw on the devestated defenders who had to face me and watch me pass for touchdown after touchdown. I have seen that devestation and it is not a pretty sight. Just as those defensive backs needed physical, mental and spiritual support after playing against me, so do the victims of the tsunami in Asia.

(shot of Manning looking concerned)

So, if you watched me play this season, you hopefully understand the pain and despair that millions in Asia are feeling right now. Hopefully you will find it in your heart to give and help them recover from this crisis. This disaster, just like myself, makes Dan Marino look like an average offensive player. Thank you for your support.

---

Now that would be an effective PSA.

- Jordan

No comments: